15 Jun 2022

15 Jun 22 - #30DaysWild Day 15 - Red Squirrel

Wednesday is my normal volunteering day on the Dorset Wildlife Trust reserve on Brownsea, which I've been able to do since Easter: one of the bonuses of taking early retirement is having the time to volunteer on the reserve. This provided the inspiration for today's #30DaysWild. The reserve was full of young birds today with chicks of Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Shelduck, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Great Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Pied Wagtail & a Robin. It was very noisy on the lagoon today.

One of my favourite species that I usually get to see at some point in the day are one or more of the Red Squirrels. They proved elusive to me today, until one moved quickly past the DWT gazebo at the entrance to the reserve. Unfortunately, this one didn't stick around to be photographed, so I will have to rely on this superb wooded carving near the gazebo along with a more photogenic Red Squirrel from early May.
Red Squirrel Carving
Red Squirrel (4 May 22)