12 Apr 2020

12 Apr 20 - B Is Also For Big-Beetle #BWKM0

After photographing my first Black and Red Squash Bug & identifying it, I went back into the garden to see if there were any other Bees flying. One part of the garden has a lot of Bluebells & it's a real sun trap, which the Bees love. While I was standing there, I saw a large bodied Beetle, about 30 mm long appear & walk towards the Bluebells. Before it had disappeared into the mass of leaves, I managed to get some photos of my first very Oil Beetle. I've walked past the pictures on a sign at Old Harry on many occasions & so I knew immediately what it was. What I hadn't appreciated was how large they can get. After a bit of searching online, I suspected it was a Black Oil Beetle, but wanted it run the photos past Phil Saunders who seems to know everything about the local invertebrates despite only living in Dorset for just over a year. The first photo I sent Phil, came back as only a probably. But fortunately, some of the other photos were more conclusive & Phil confirmed my suspicions.
Black Oil Beetle
Black Oil Beetle
Black Oil Beetle
Black Oil Beetle: Phil has provided this link on how to identify the UK Oil Beetles & a form to report sightings
They are cracking looking Beetles & a real privilege to see my first in the garden. Both Black Oil Beetle & Violet Oil Beetle occur locally along the Purbeck coastline & I am surprised I've not bumped into them before over the years.

Check tomorrow to see the next day's wildlife sighting at #BWKM0.