15 Oct 2026

15 Jun 26 - From The Biggest To The Smallest Expedition Cruise Day 6 - New Cetaceans For The Trip

After a reasonable night's sleep, I was ready for a second full day at sea as we sailed from the Shetland Islands to Jan Mayen Island. I spent a lot of the day on the deck and it proved worthwhile for Cetaceans. The first species seen was a Northern Bottlenose Whale, but frustratingly I didn't manage to get any photos of it.
We were still sailing NNW towards Jan Mayen Island
The next Cetaceans seen were a couple of Humpback Whales, which we thought was a female with a calf.
Humpback Whale: A Humpback Whale just after it had blown
Humpback Whale: The distinctive dorsal fin with the second Humpback Whale showing through the water
Humpback Whale: A better view of the dorsal fin
Humpback Whale: Finally, I managed to get a photo of both of them
Humpback Whale: Humpback Whales have a distinctive dorsal fin
Towards the end of lunch there was a broadcast that the Plancius was stopping as one of the expedition staff had seen a Fin Whale during their bridge watch. I had just finished eating and so it was time to head back up to the bridge wings.
Fin Whale: Note, the reasonable-sized dorsal fin and long relatively-flat body
Fin Whale: A close crop of the dorsal fin showing it is has a smooth-curved leading edge confirming the identification
Fin Whale: This photo shows that it has a broad body
Fin Whale
Fin Whale: Another photo showing the broad body
We saw few Bird species during the day. Virtually, all the Birds I saw were Fulmars, but there was also a Long-tailed Skua, four Kittiwakes and the first two Brunnich's Guillemots. I expected to see lots of the latter species during the trip, however, it was good to see the first ones, especially as the only one I had previously seen was literally on its last legs and two days later, it was found dead in Anstruther harbour, on the Scottish East Coast.
Brunnich's Guillemot: They are short-bodied than Guillemots, are blacker-coloured and have a broader-based bill
Brunnich's Guillemot
Brunnich's Guillemot
Brunnich's Guillemot
Brunnich's Guillemot
Later in the day, I saw another couple of Humpback Whales. In the early evening, I saw a brief blow, but never saw the Whale. Looking at photos that others took, it was another Fin Whale. I decided to knock the watch on head at 21:30 and get an early night. We were due to have a few hours on the following morning as we approached Jan Mayen Island and I was hoping this would be more productive for Cetaceans. I will cover this final approach in the next Blog Post.