2 Jul 2024

29 May 24 - Irish Hares

This was day two of the Yellow-crowned Night Heron twitch. After successfully seeing the Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Pete Aley & I ended up at The Mullet by the end of the first day. On the second morning, I was pleased to get good views of an Irish Hare at Cross Lough, before picking Pete up from his hotel. I have seen Irish Hares on my last two visits to Ireland, but this was the first time I've had good close views.
Irish Hare: Irish Hares are the endemic hibernicus subspecies of Mountain Hare. Unlike most of the other populations of Mountain Hares, which occurs across the North of the Old World from the UK to Eastern Russia, they remain brown throughout the year
I saw another Irish Hare chasing another individual around as we were heading off to Annagh Marsh.
Irish Hares
Irish Hares
Irish Hare: The first individual
Irish Hare: The second individual
Irish Hare: The second individual
Irish Hare: The second individual
Irish Hare: Racing over, it was time for a rest