31 Oct 2022

31 Oct 22 - Indonesia - Banda Sea Cruise Day 5 - Cetaceans On The Crossing From The Tanimbar Islands To The Babar Islands

This is the third Blog Post detailing the Cetaceans we saw on the crossing from the Tanimbar Islands to Babar Island. The previous two Blog Posts covered the Seabirds & an Olive Ridley Turtle. A final Blog Post will cover the Flying Fish.

Regular readers of the Blog will know that I'm a big fan of Cetaceans and I was looking forward to the Banda Sea Cruise as I was expecting to see a variety of species at regular intervals: I was not disappointed.

I will start with Risso's Dolphins which are relatively easy to identify with their pale grey and generally scarred colouration and high, narrow and strongly falcated dorsal fin. They have a very wide range in all the oceans, except for the cold Arctic and Antarctic oceans.
Risso's Dolphin: The pale grey colouration & scarring on the body allow this Dolphin to be identified as a Risso's Dolphin. It was seen at 10:52 local time
Risso's Dolphin: Another photo of the previous individual showing the classic Risso's Dolphin's thin & high-curved dorsal fin
Risso's Dolphin: This is a different individual that we saw earlier in the morning at 09:46 local time. This was a Risso's Dolphin based upon the pale grey body & the scarring
[Note - After I wrote this Blog Post, James Eaton came back to query my identification of the next Dolphins, which I had stated I thought they were Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins & James stated "Your Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins photo - are you sure as to the identification, the beak looks so long and slender that it appears more like a Spinner to me? Remember, Spinners in Indonesia aren’t so long-beaked. It also looks very dark, though it could be the lighting". There was also feedback from Dan Brown stating "To me the IndoP BNDs are Spinners. The beak looks way to slim for BND, the colouration is also pro Spinner and the dorsal is pretty typical in shape for Spinner as well. Other IDs all look good". As a result of this feedback, I've corrected the identification of these Dolphins to Spinner Dolphins].
Spinner Dolphin
Spinner Dolphin
Spinner Dolphin: Four of a party of five Spinner Dolphins that we saw at 07:30 local time
Spinner Dolphin
At 11:16 local time we encountered a logging Cetacean. I've a number of photos of it looking exactly the same as the second photo, followed by the last two photos where it turned before diving.
[Note - At the time I wrote this Blog Post, I said this was a probable Dwarf Sperm Whale. Having looked at the Post again today, I'm struggling to see why I was so cautious. Looked at it again, I'm now confident this logging Cetacean is a Dwarf Sperm Whale. There was also positive feedback from James Eaton "Dwarf Sperm - agree. Looks the same as one I encountered in 2018 off Babar. That was also logging, classic behaviour" & from Dan Brown stating "Other IDs all look good". I've removed the probable labelling].
Dwarf Sperm Whale: The initial view
Dwarf Sperm Whale: To me this looks like the classic profile for a Dwarf Sperm Whale
Dwarf Sperm Whale: Another photo of it logging
Dwarf Sperm Whale: It came up for another view as we started to pass it
Dwarf Sperm Whale: A final view of the dorsal fin & it was gone