25 Mar 2020

25 Mar 20 - Red-bummed Bumble #BWKM0

I saw my first Bumblebee sp. in the garden for the Year on 20 Jan. The next was 8 Mar & I've seen several flying through the garden from the study fairly regularly since we were all told to stay indoors. But the recent views have always been brief & I've not managed to get a decent look to identify them. All this changed today, when I popped outside for a brief spot of fresh air, whilst making a cuppa of tea. There was a queen Large Red-tailed Bumblebee flying around. She didn't hang around for long & I had to get back to work. So, no photos. It's a fairly common species, but given the current circumstances, it's nice to spend a bit more time enjoying what I can see in the garden at #BWKM0.
Large Red-tailed Bumblebee: Win Green, Wilts (28 Jun 14)
Given we are all confined at home these days: why not buy a new field guide & see what you can discover in your garden or local park whilst out on a daily walk. A few years ago, the excellent Field Guide to the Bees of Great Britain and Ireland by Steven Falk and Richard Lewington was published. I'm still at the beginner level on many of the Bee species, but it's a great source of information. Alternatively, there are some good websites on line with information & photos to get you started on Bumblebees.

Ironically, I had taken the camera upstairs in the hope of something flying over while I was in the study. In fact, I did get my second flyover migrant Red Kite in two days. But it went over when I was on another works call and I could hardly try taking photos, given as I had an open mic & was talking at the time.

Check tomorrow to see the next day's wildlife sighting at #BWKM0.