29 Oct 2018

29 Oct 18 - Live Bird Food In The Garden

As a Birder, I enjoy putting out bird food throughout the year in the garden. This keeps a population of around a hundred local Birds fed. The species vary a bit depending on the season, with a few additional winter visitors appearing as the roving Tit flocks start moving through the gardens. Very occasionally, I've seen one of the local Sparrowhawks in the garden & today this female Sparrowhawk got lucky at the expense of one of the male House Sparrows (looking at the feathers that were left). I tried a few photos through the kitchen door glass, but they weren't great quality & there was a small branch in the way. Then I lay down & put the camera lens through the cat flap. This was perfect & also allowed allowed a better angle which resolved the problematic branch. The cat flap was fitted by the previous owner & I don't have a cat. Finally, I found a use for the cat flap, other than occasionally running a power cord from the house for the Moth trap.
Sparrowhawk: Female
Sparrowhawk: Female
Sparrowhawk: Female
Sparrowhawk: Female
Sparrowhawk: Female. Meal over