17 Oct 2015

17 Oct 15 - My Favourite Scottish Castle

I've made a number of trips over the last decade to the Western Isles & the route nearly always takes me past my favourite Scottish castle: Eilean Donan Castle. It is just to the South of Kyle of Lochalsh, which is the town with the bridge to Isle of Skye.
Eilean Donan Castle: Looking superb in the darkness
Apparently, the first fortified castle was built in the mid 13th century with four subsequent major rebuilds to it. It was partially destroyed during the Jacobite uprising in 1719 & was left as a ruin, until the castle & island was bought in 1911 & the castle was rebuilt. It is now open to the public from Feb to Dec. More information of the castle's history can be found here.
Eilean Donan Castle: This is what it looks like in the day (5 June 12)
Eilean Donan Castle: One of these days I will have to plan to pass the castle during the day when it is open & I'm not heading off to catch a ferry (5 June 12)
Eilean Donan Castle: (5 June 12)