2 Apr 2014

2 April 14 - Garden Newts

At the end of May last year, I saw a male Great-crested Newt in my garden pond. This was my first record since digging the pond in August 96 as a wildlife pond (with no goldfish of course). He was around on a number of occasions until the start of Sept.
Male Great-crested Newt: The large size identifies it as a Great-crested Newt & the jagged crest identifies it as a male in breeding condition (photo taken May 13)
This year has been even more exciting as I have seen a pair on a couple of occasions in late Feb & late March, as well as singles on a number of occasions. They lay eggs in Feb & March so am hoping that I might see some young newts later this summer in the pond.
Male Great-crested Newt: The male a few days ago
It took near 10 years before the local Smooth Newts established themselves, but they are now very well established. Three years ago I ended up having to move the Smooth Newts to my other smaller front garden pond as my main pond liner had a serious hole which I has to replace, as I couldn't repair it. I moved 31 adult Smooth Newts. Once the main pond was up & running again they quickly moved back in.
Male Smooth Newt: Only half the size of the Great-crested Newt & without any of its bulk. The jagged crest identifies it as a male in breeding condition (photo taken June 10)
Surprisingly, the local Frogs have never bred in the ponds, despite being present in small numbers outside of the breeding season.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment