Over many years I've driven along the Wareham to Wool road through Stokeford and driven past this historic-looking gun. It's only visible in advance as I'm driving West and I'm usually heading off to Portland, Weymouth etc for some Birding and I haven't got the time to stop. It isn't visible until the last minute as I'm heading home, when there isn't time to pull in for a photo. Finally, I remembered it was there as I returned from seeing the Queen of Spain Fritillary and I pulled over.
The Worgret Heath Gun: Thanks to Steve Morrison for pointing out there is a seem along the length of the barrel suggesting two curved sections have been joined. This wouldn't occur in a real gun as it would be an immediate point of failure
There isn't a signboard by the gun providing any details about it. I thought it would be easy to search online about it, but there was surprisingly little information about it, other than it is labelled as the Worgret Heath Gun on Googlemaps. From the little I've found online, this appears to be a replica of a Victorian Rifled Muzzle Loader 7-inch Armstrong Gun. If anybody can provide more information on this gun, please add a comment to this Blog Post.


