16 Oct 2024

9 Oct 24 - Little & Large

I was doing my usual volunteering on the Dorset Wildlife Trust Brownsea reserve, as it was a Wednesday. I wasn't on the rota for anything immediately after the morning briefing, so I took the opportunity to head to the Tern hide to scan the lagoon and do a Wader & Wildfowl count. One of the first species I saw was a Great White Egret at the edge of the lagoon. At the time, I thought this was a Brownsea Tick for me, but it turns out I've had one sighting before in Autumn 14. Given they are scarce visitors to the lagoon, I grabbed a few photos, before getting on the DWT radio to let the DWT wardens know.
Great White Egret with a Little Egret for comparison: Little & large. The identification wasn't really very hard in the circumstances
Great White Egret with a Little Egret for comparison: A Greenshank is now trying to get in on the act
The Great White Egret was feeding at the edge of the lagoon for about forty-five minutes before it flew off.
Great White Egret: This is only my second Great White Egret on the Brownsea lagoon, despite it being a regular species in Poole Harbour these days