1 Nov 2023

1 Nov 23 - November Butterflies

The weather looked OK for an interesting seawatch off the Isle of Purbeck coastline and I decided to join my local Birding mate, James Leaver, at Peveril Point at Swanage. I was hoping for a Leach's Storm-petrel as there was a strong onshore wind as a low came in from the Atlantic. Unfortunately, it didn't produce much of note on the sea in about three hours of watching. A Red-throated Diver East and then into Swanage Bay & five Golden Plovers West & in were the highlights.
A tatty Painted Lady enjoying the sun
But as I walked down to the point, I found a little sun trap where there was a small hollow in the ground. A tatty Painted Lady & a Red Admiral were enjoying the November sun. There may not be too many more days left this year to see either, especially the former species.
This Red Admiral was only a few inches from the Painted Lady: The Autumn isn't over yet
As I was writing this Blog Post, there was a Speckled Wood in my garden: my third Butterfly for November.