21 Dec 2014

21 Dec 14 - Communal Bath Time

I've already written a Post about one of the Top Ten Birds that I've seen. Fortunately, I get to see this species regularly as Long-tailed Tits are a fairly common British species. They are erratic visitors to my garden. I have spells when I see or hear them every few days & then gaps of several weeks or months before they start visiting again. One of the reasons I like them it they are one of the most social of UK Passerines. There has been a party visiting the feeders recently, but today I caught them in the front garden pond & found that they all communally bathe as well. All photos taken through the front window.
Long-tailed Tit: Initially, just two Long-tailed Tits
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit: But no surprise when the rest of the group joined in
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit
It just goes to show that you don't need to go to far flung destinations to see some great Birds. Albeit my other nine Top Ten Birds do require travel to exotic locations.